Practicing ESL/EFL teachers and teacher trainers who are also active TESOL members and who need financial support to attend the annual TESOL convention.
To support the professional development of ESL/EFL teachers by making it possible for more teachers to attend the annual international TESOL convention.
The TESOL Professional Development Travel Grants are funded by Betty Azar.
$1,500 per grant to pay the costs of attending a TESOL convention, including travel, accommodations and registration fees. A minimum of 10 grants per year will be funded. Total number of grants will depend on annual grant funding levels.
Applications are evaluated on the basis of
- your reasons for wanting to attend the TESOL convention
- your commitment and contributions to ESL/EFL teaching
- your financial need
Preference is given to individuals who have never attended a TESOL convention.
- Explain the reasons you want to attend the TESOL convention (250 words or fewer)
- Explain past and current contributions and commitment to ESL/EFL teaching (250 words or fewer)
- List the TESOL conventions you have attended
- Explain your opportunities for receiving financial support for professional development from your institution, publisher, or other sources (250 words or fewer)
- Submit letters of recommendation from 2 ESL/EFL professionals who can describe your work, contributions, and commitment to the field. Letters of recommendation cannot be submitted through the online application process.
Letters of recommendation should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to
TESOL International Association
1925 Ballenger Avenue, Suite 550
Alexandria, VA 22314-6820 USA
Note: Mailed letters of recommendation must be sealed by the author of the letter. Emailed letters of recommendation must be emailed to TESOL directly from the author of the letter.
Applications will be accepted beginning 1 June. Application instructions will be posted here.
Application materials and supporting documents must be received on or before 1 November.