TESOL members who are graduate students in TESL/TEFL programs worldwide.
To assist graduate students traveling to the TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo.
The Albert H. Marckwardt Memorial Fund was established in 1976 to honor this distinguished educator from the University of Michigan and Princeton University who helped shape the community of language scholars and teachers. The fund is maintained through TESOL member contributions.
US$500 and a waiver of the convention registration fees.
Applications are evaluated according to your
- personal attributes
- involvement in and commitment to ESL/EFL teaching and the profession
- financial need
- Submit a statement of 1,000 words or fewer addressing
- your ESL/EFL teaching experience
- your involvement in regional, national, or international ESL/EFL organizations
- your career plans after you graduate
- your current financial situation
- Submit an unofficial transcript from your graduate or doctoral program
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with your program specifying
- your personal attributes
- your scholarship
- your course of study
Letters of recommendation cannot be submitted during the online application process. They should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to
TESOL International Association
1925 Ballenger Avenue, Suite 550
Alexandria, VA 22314-6820 USA
Letters of recommendation sent by mail must be sealed by the author of the letter. Emailed letters of recommendation must be sent to directly to TESOL from the author of the letter.
Applications will be accepted beginning 1 June. Application instructions will be posted here.
Applications must be received on or before 1 November.