What exactly are 21st century skills, why do they matter, and how can we make sure we are incorporating them? Participants observe examples of how these skills can be integrated into language lessons, including e-portfolios, collaborative online projects, and educational uses of social networking. Participants then discuss which examples would work well with students and meet instructional objectives in their own contexts, and work on preparing a classroom project.
Who Should Attend?
Adult ESL instructors
What Will I Learn?
In this workshop, participants will
- identify 21st century skills, based on a variety of current sources
- match the skills to language objectives
- review examples of classroom integration of each skill area
- consider various current technologies that can be integrated into instruction, such as
- Collaborative projects
- Social networking
- work with a partner on a classroom project
About the Workshop Leader
is Director of the Outreach and Technical Assistance Network (OTAN), which supports technology integration and distance learning for adult education in California. She has taught adult ESOL in Illinois and California and is a frequent presenter at national, state, and local conferences on topics related to technology and adult ESOL.