Using authentic classroom-ready curricular materials, you will work collaboratively to engage with the 14 research-based ACCELL practices aimed at supporting ELs in their attainment of the Common Core English Language Arts (CCSS ELA) Standards. ACCELL scaffolds grade-level learning for ELs at various proficiency levels with a strategic combination of
- sentence frames
- use of first language
- standards-aligned supplementary questions
- chunking text according to big ideas
- nonlinguistic supports
Who Should Attend?
K–12 teachers and leaders
What Will I Learn?
You will learn how to
- use the ACCELL Framework to help ELs meet the CCSS ELA Standards
- develop CCSS-aligned lessons and implement instructional practices to meet the needs of ELs and their non-EL peers
- apply the ACCELL practices in curriculum and action planning for your own ELA context
About the Workshop Leader
is a researcher in the education program at American Institute of Research
(AIR) with expertise in second language education (PK–12), intervention research, and multi-tiered systems of support. She conducts professional development sessions for PK–12 educators on response to intervention, differentiation, literacy instruction for ELLs.