This pilot program is designed for practicing English language teachers who want to build their knowledge and explore their area of expertise in depth.
After you complete this program, you will
- gain in-depth understanding of your area of expertise in TESOL
- be able to design and implement syllabi and lesson plans
- be able to implement effective teaching strategies based on current research
- contribute to the TESOL body of knowledge by presenting and/or publishing
This program is self-paced. After being accepted into the program, you have one year to complete the program requirements. After you finish the program, you will receive a letter of completion as well as an advanced practitioner TESOL certificate.
To participate in this pilot program, you must meet the following prerequisites.
- Knowledge of TESOL principles (demonstrated by a degree in a related field, a certificate in TESOL teaching, etc.). If you do not meet this foundational knowledge prerequisite, you may be offered conditional admission (see below).
- Completion of a university degree program.
- Currently teaching English as a second or foreign language.
A resume demonstrating a minimum of two years of experience in the field of English language teaching (ELT).
Complete an application including essay questions.
- Provide two letters of recommendation from professionals who have directly worked with you in an ELT teaching context. One of the recommendation letters must be from your current supervisor.
A phone interview (if necessary).
If you do not meet the foundational knowledge prerequisite, you may be offered conditional admission. If you are offered conditional admission, you must complete the self-study “TESOL: Principles, Practices, and Perspectives” course before advancing to the program. Cost for the course is below.
The self-study course consists of five modules on TESOL fundamentals and best practices. Each module consists of readings and/or videos followed by a quiz or assignment. You should plan to spend about nine hours on each module. You must successfully complete the quizzes to pass the course.
To successfully complete the program, you must fulfill the following requirements.
- If you have been offered conditional admission, complete the self-study "TESOL: Principles, Practices, and Perspectives" course.
- Complete 10 hours of approved in-person or online specialized self-study (e.g., content-area instruction, assessment, business English, young learners, CALL).
- Develop and submit a course overview or syllabus along with a written reflection.
- Develop and submit a unit of instruction or at least three lesson plans along with a written reflection.
- Complete one of the following:
- Submit a 50-minute video recording of yourself teaching one of your lesson plans, along with a written reflection on your teaching; or
- Be observed by a supervisor (mentor, department head, or colleague) and ask him/her to write an observation report.
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to the ELT field through at least two of the following:
- Contribute two resource to the TESOL Resource Center.
- Publish an article.
- Give a presentation (TESOL convention, a TESOL affiliate conference, staff presentation at school, or other recognized institution or organization).
- Submit a professional development review and plan. (A template will be provided.)
- Submit a feedback survey about the pilot program. (A template will be provided.)
Work with a Mentor
When you enroll, you will have the option to work with a mentor. Mentors are experienced English language instructors and teacher trainers who will help you one-on-one with the course content and provide you with feedback on your assignments. If you would like to take advantage of this opportunity, be sure to select the "mentor option" on the registration form.
Regular member: $525
Regular member with mentor: $755
Global member: $220
Global member with mentor: $320
Once you have been accepted into this program, you must join TESOL to participate.
TESOL: Principles, Practices, and Perspectives
Regular member: $205
Global member: $90
Application Process Download the application
. Send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. You will be notified of your admission status within two weeks
after you submit your application. You must complete the program within one year
Your certificate will be mailed within two weeks
after you complete the program.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
The TESOL Certificate: Advanced Practitioner program is an online program offered by TESOL International Association, that allows practicing teachers to explore a specific area in English language training and helps them become contributing professionals. It is not a certification program and does not lead to academic credit.