Holly Hansen-Thomas, PhD, Associate Professor of ESL and Bilingual Education, Department of Teacher Education, Texas Woman's University, Denton, TX USA.
Monday, 3 June – Sunday, 30 June 2013
Who Should Attend?
Secondary math educators who teach English Language Learners (ELLs) and ESL educators who teach math.
TESOL members: US$380 for TESOL members
Nonmembers: US$505 for nonmembers
Global members: US$160 for Global Members
Registration for the ESL for the Secondary Mathematics Teachers is now closed. See you again next year!
Register by Fax or Email (PDF)
Registration Terms and Conditions
More About This Course
Need help teaching English language learners (ELLs) in your mathematics classroom? Or need help teaching mathematics to your English language learners? This online course will help you.
Participants will learn about core ESL principles and practices, the role that language and culture play in learning mathematics, planning and implementing instruction for ELLs, and assessment of mathematics knowledge. They will also explore how teachers can use TESOL’s PreK-12 English Language Proficiency Standards (2006) to develop ELLs’ academic language proficiency and plan instruction and assessment in secondary mathematics classrooms.
What Will I Learn?
- understand the linguistic challenges of academic language in mathematics for ELLs
- identify core ESL principles and practices
- develop academic mathematical tasks that require advanced levels of reading and writing
- understand the role of language and culture in learning mathematics
- apply concepts, research, and best practices to plan standards-based mathematics instruction and assessments in a supportive learning environment for ELLs with different English language proficiency levels
- use TESOL’s PreK-12 English Language Proficiency Standards (2006) to develop ELLs’ academic language proficiency in mathematics
About the Instructor
Dr. Hansen-Thomas currently heads an Office of English Language Acquisition National Professional Development Project that serves math and science teachers in rural areas. She is a native Texan who has taught ESL for over 22 years in public schools, private language institutions, colleges, and universities in Texas, New York, Spain, Germany, and Hungary. A longtime TESOL member, former Fulbright Scholar, and former TexTESOL II board member, Dr. Hansen-Thomas' research interest is professional development for math and science teachers who serve ELLs in secondary schools. She is author of English Language Learners and Math: Discourse, Participation, and Community in Reform-Oriented, Middle School Mathematics Classes.
If you have any questions about these courses, please contact the TESOL Education Department and put "ESL Math" in the subject header.