The Interest Section Leadership Council (ISLC) fosters the professional relationship between TESOL Interest Sections (ISs), and between ISs and other association entities, including affiliates
, the Board of Directors
, and standing committees. For a list of current ISLC members, please click here
The ISLC has four voting members: Chair, Chair-Elect, Member-at-Large, and Past Chair.
Terms of Service
Each member serves for four years. A new member-at-large is elected every year. After one year of service, the member-at-large becomes chair-elect, chair-elect becomes the chair, and the chair becomes the past chair.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Meet with IS leaders and TESOL staff
- Create agenda for and lead IS leader meetings
Election of Member-at-Large
- Elections for member-at-large are held every year.
To be eligible for election as member-at-large, interested candidates must be:
- TESOL members in good standing for at least five years
- Have served as an IS leader (either elected or appointed)
- Attended at least two TESOL conventions in the past 10 years
- Not be a member of an IS that has a member serving on the ISLC
The ISLC encourages self-nomination from current and past IS leaders. If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else, please send the following to Michelle Kim
. She will forward your interest to the ISLC Chair-elect:
- Background statement (50 words): Please cite your leadership experience in TESOL (interest section, affiliates, standing committees, previous board experience) and describe your professional responsibilities and experience as they relate to TESOL service.
- Statement of purpose (50 words): Please cite your interest in and motivation for serving on the ISLC, as well as key issues affecting TESOL ISs and how the ISLC could address them.
Term of Service
- Four years: One year each as member-at-large, chair-elect, chair, and past chair.
- Act as a liaison to up to five IS chairs
- Participate in strategic planning conference calls and online discussions with ISLC members
- Help determine ISLC policy and procedures based on IS and TESOL mission and vision statements
- Monitor and participate in the IS leader listerv and other discussions
- Help plan IS leader meetings at the annual TESOL convention
- Meet with IS leader and TESOL staff
Resources and Support
- One liaison from the Board of Directors
- One liaison from the TESOL Staff
- Are assigned by the TESOL President-Elect
- Voice ISLC concerns and interests to the Board of Directors
- Explain board policies, priorities, and plans to the ISLC chair
- Advocates on behalf of the ISLC to the Board of Directors
- Attends ISLC meetings at the TESOL convention whenever possible
TESOL staff liaison
- is assigned by the TESOL Executive Director
- provides year-round support through communication with ISLC members
- reports to the Board of Directors on behalf of the ISLC at two annual meetings
For more information about the Interest Section Leadership Council, please contact Michelle Kim.