Celebrating Adult Multilingual Learners of English (MLEs)
Adult Literacy and Family Education Week (17-23 September 2023) is a national collaboration between families, educators, legislators, and community partners to promote adult literacy. This page contains useful resources, toolkits, and publications designed to help you support your adult leaners in the classroom and advocate for them in your community.
Talk to Your Members of Congress About AEFL Week
Exercise your right to petition the U.S. Government and let your voice be heard today!
This week, we encourage you to write to your Congressional representatives to:
- Support Adult Education and Family Literacy
- Support Strengthening Research in Adult Education
- Support the Families of MLEs (HR 3606)
Learn more about contacting Congress by visiting the TESOL Advocacy Action Center.
Explore TESOL Press Resources
Check out the TESOL Press Bookstore section on Adult Learners for titles about teaching adult MLEs!
Take 20% Off Self-Study Course
Use code AEFL23 to enjoy 20% off our self-study course: Teaching & Assessing Adult Learners! Discount ends 30 September.
Download Government & Community Resources
Use these resources and toolkits to learn more about adult multilingual learners and their unique needs.
- Download: TESOL's Community and Family Toolkit
- Download: TESOL English Learners and Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA): What Educators Need to Know
- Coalition on Adult and Basic Education: National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week
- National Coalition for Literacy: National AEFL Week
TESOL Talks: A Talk With Christine Piven and Federico Salas-Isnardi About Their Work for Adult MLEs
Join TESOL Director Advocacy and Public Policy Jeff Hutcheson as he talks with Christine Piven, executive director of the City of Philadelphia’s Office of Children and Families, and Federico Salas-Isnardi, director of the Mayor’s Office for Adult Literacy in Houston, about their efforts in Houston and Philadelphia to serve the adult population for literacy and English language.
17 September 2023