Welcome, Students and First-Timers!
Take advantage of the following resources to help you navigate the convention and get the best out of the experience.
Reception for New Members & First-Time Attendees
Tuesday, 27 March, 3:30 pm–5 pm
Rm. E353 McCormick Place Convention Center
- Hear from TESOL volunteer leadership and staff. Ask questions directly to TESOL’s president and executive director.
- Meet the TESOL Ambassadors, veteran members of TESOL, and listen to their helpful suggestions on how to navigate the convention and the many benefits of the association.
- Connect with other attendees and share your thoughts about TESOL and the international convention.
- Win something! A drawing will be held at the end of the reception for some special TESOL prizes.
No registration required to attend the reception, just add it to your schedule!
Reception for Emerging Professionals
Tuesday, 27 March, 7:15 pm - 8:30 pm
Motor Row Brewery
Complimentary pizza and salad. Cash bar.
Do you need funding to help you pay for convention registration and/or travel expenses? Apply for TESOL Awards! TESOL offers numerous awards for excellence and service to the field and several travel grants and scholarships to enable TESOL members to attend the convention. The deadline for most awards is 1 November so don’t miss your opportunity and apply today! Not a member yet? Join here.
Graduate Student Forums
Tuesday, 27 March, 7:00 am–5:00 pm
Are you a student currently enrolled in a graduate TESOL program (or related field)? Register to attend and/or present at the TESOL Graduate Student Forums! TESOL offers two graduate student conferences the day before the convention: the Master's Student Forum and the Doctoral Research Forum. These forums enable students to
- Share their research results, teaching ideas and experiences, and teaching materials
- Meet and network with graduate students and faculty from other universities
- Participate in the TESOL convention without having to compete with experienced professionals for time on the convention program
- Gain experience organizing a conference, adjudicating proposals, and other professional activities
These forums are free and you do not have to register for the TESOL convention to attend but you do have to register through the convention registration form.
Download forums official schedule.
Workshop for Novice Researchers
Tuesday, 27 March 2018, 1–5 pm
This half-day workshop is designed to support novice researchers in their approach to research. Experts from the TESOL Research Professional Council will address aspects of research design, and the TESOL Research Agenda will be presented by an invited speaker. Participants will discuss the topics presented and their own experience, and the president of the International Research Foundation for English Language Education (TIRF) chair will illustrate TIRF's support for research.
- Lucilla Lopriore, 2017–2018 Research Professional Council, chair
- Fares Karam, Research Professional Council, member
- John Rogers, Research Professional Council, member
- Lottie Baker, Research Professional Council, member
- Deena Boria, Past-president, TESOL International Association
- Kathi Bailey, The International Research Foundation for English Language Education, President
This workshop is free and you do not have to register for the TESOL convention to attend but you do have to register through the convention registration form.