An Interactive Program for ESL & Mainstream PreK-12 Teachers & Administrators
Saturday, 16 March 2019
Georgia World Congress Center | Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Join TESOL and a host of ELT experts for a full-day of hands-on, practice-oriented sessions that focus on concrete ways to increase student engagement.
All prek-12 teachers and administrators are welcome! From coteaching to assessment, gain new strategies, tools, and resources to help your English learners succeed.
Download the PDF Flyer.
What School Leaders Need to Know to Support English Learners
Presenter: Ayanna Cooper, ACooper Consulting, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
English learners are a unique population with diverse needs, but they have in common the need for administrators and instructional leaders who know how to effectively support them. Dr. Cooper provides a “macro to micro” perspective of the work so that school leaders can examine their own school communities with the ultimate goal of improving outcomes for English learners.
Dr. Cooper is an educator, consultant, author, and advocate for culturally and linguistically diverse learners. In 2016, TESOL International Association recognized her as one of the association’s 30 Up & Coming professionals. She works nationwide supporting educators. With 20 years of experience and a number of publications, her projects involve building administrator capacity to develop and manage K–12 English language programs.
A: Coteaching & Coaching
B: Learning Disabilities & Exceptional Children
- Destination Success: Steps to Effective Coteaching (Presenter: Tamika L. Harris)
- Serving Up ESL! (Presenters: Elizabeth House and Joni Bair)
- Together We Are Better: Coteaching ELLs (Presenters: Georgia Branson and Megan Mayfield)
- Coteaching: Creating One Greatness (Presenter: Lela Horne)
C: Interrupted Schooling
- Georgia’s Systems of Continuous Improvement: Coordinating Programs to Support the Whole Child (Presenters: Zelphine Smith-Dixon, Faya Paul and John Wight)
- Instruction Differentiated (Presenter: Sharla Reynolds)
- Teaching and Developing Giftedness in ELs (Presenters: Adrienne J. Woods and Joanne Gauthier)
- The Evidence Base for Student Success: Using Specially Designed Instruction (Presenters: Belinda Tiller and Tammie Smith)
D: Assessment & Formative Standards
- Action Plan to Catch Up: Missing Schooling (Presenter: Margarita Munoz)
- Transitioning Students With Limited/Interrupted Formal Education to Classroom Success (Presenter: Andrea DeCapua)
- Filling in Foundational Gaps: Structures and Strategies for Emergent EL (Presenter: Alisa Leckie)
- Building Resilient Learners: The I Have, I Am, I Can Model (Presenter: Judith B. O’Loughlin)
E: Dual Language Education & Multilingualism
- Planning SMART Goals and Next Steps Based on ACCESS 2.0 Scores (Presenter: Jennifer D. Pendergrass)
- Standards-Based Assessment for ESL/EFL Learners (Presenter: Leonardo A. Mercado)
- Supporting Academic ELLs With Formative Assessment (Presenter: Marisa Nathan)
- Breaking Barriers With Blended Learning (Presenters: Margaret McKenzie, Katherine Stocking, La Tonya Simmons and Maria Dunbar)
F: Hot Topics
- Dual Immersion Education in Georgia: Connecting the Dots (Presenter: Christina Catinella)
- Strengthening Communities Through Dual Immersion Programming (Presenter: Carrie McGarity Woodcock)
- The Dual Language Immersion Model in Georgia (Presenter: Patrick Wallace)
- ESOL Instruction Among Dual Language Immersion (Presenter: Nicole S. McCoy)
- Implementing The 6 Principles in the Classroom (Presenter: Helene Becker)
- Technology Tools for the English Language Classroom (Presenters: Brooke Richardson and Lesley Taylor)
- 21st-Century Science Literacy That Engages: ELLs in the Content-Area (Presenters: Brandy Chase Judkins and Zoe Falls)
- STEM, Literacy, and ELLs (Presenter: Shelante Patton)
View the Detailed Schedule
Early: 1 Feb
Advance: 1 Mar
After 1 Mar
*Teams must include 3 or more registrations and registrations must be sent in together
You do not have to register for the full TESOL convention to attend PreK-12 Day, but you do have to register for this event through the convention registration form.
If you have questions about the PreK-12 day, please contact TESOL Professional Learning.