Nine Reasons Your Boss Should Allow You to Attend TESOL 2020
Here are some talking points to help you get the approval you need.
- The TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo is the largest convention focused exclusively on English language teaching and learning.
- With more than 1000 sessions to choose from, you can cover a year’s worth of professional development in just four days! You can learn about the latest research in the field, current best practices, and even pick-up a lesson plan or two.
- You can earn CEUs for attending the convention. TESOL partners with a local institution every year to get you CEUs for the Preconvention Institutes, PreK–12 Day, and even the convention sessions. This argument is especially powerful if you are required to get a certain number of CEUs each year.
- You will have numerous opportunities to network with colleagues, connecting you to a broad range of experience and expertise in every aspect of English language teaching and learning. Networking also re-energizes you, and you can bring that energy back to the workplace.
- The knowledge and training that you will gain is a return on the investment. You can also share your new knowledge and training with your colleagues. This way, everyone in your workplace can benefit from your attendance. Here’s what you’ll have to share:
- The Expo Hall has the latest books and educational products from TESOL Press and other companies. TESOL and other companies offer exclusive discounts to convention attendees.
- Find a colleague who will cover for you during your time away. Your supervisor will appreciate your initiative and will see you as very responsible.
- By arriving early or staying an extra day, you can take advantage of full and half day pre- and post-convention workshops, and PreK-12 Day. These opportunities have an additional cost, but they offer you a way to get even more shareable professional development during your time away.
- It’s a bargain! If you register by 3 February 2020, the professional member rate is only US$365. You save US$285 by being a TESOL member and registering early.