The Standards Professional Council (SPC) supports TESOL International Association in advancing the quality and expertise in the field of English language teaching through standards for teaching and learning. The Council advises the Association on strategy and supports the implementation of its strategic direction as it relates to standards. This is done by providing review and comment on educational standards that are relevant to the profession of English language teaching, and English learners, and English language teacher training, including TESOL standards, and raising the visibility and feasibility/practicality of the Association’s standards.
Terms of Service
Members are appointed by the Executive Committee through an application process. Once appointed, Professional Council members make a one-year commitment to serve, renewable twice annually up to three years of service.
Each year, a Chair-elect shall be nominated by the Executive Director though an application process, with final approval by the Executive Committee. Only those serving on the Professional Council at the time of the application process are eligible to apply. Once appointed, the designee shall serve for one year as Chair-elect followed by one year as Chair before rotating off the Professional Council.
The SPC shall consist of 8 to 14 members, plus a Staff Partner and Board Liaison.
Interested applicants shall be asked to list their level of education, experience, and how they are qualified to contribute to the SPC in meeting its goals and objectives. SPC members shall have knowledge of and experience with relevant standards in the TESOL field, including the application, development, revision, and application/implementation of standards. The Council membership shall reflect the widest possible range of professional expertise and experience, with special attention paid to diverse geographical, cultural, and generational representation.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Standards Professional Council shall
Assist TESOL International Association in overseeing the development and maintenance of TESOL standards.
- Advise the Board on standards to meet the needs of the field of English language teaching and learning.
- Provide guidance on the criteria and procedures to develop and validate the Association’s standards.
- Develop, implement, and assess a process for the periodic review and revision of the Association’s standards.
- Support the Association’s strategic direction.
- Advise the Association on initiatives related to standards.
- Provide feedback and guidance as needed on standards-related programs and products for the association.
- Serve as a central focus for standards in order to raise the visibility of the Association’s standards among members and the field of English language teaching and learning.
- Provide expertise to the Association.
- Review and offer feedback on other educational standards that impact the field of English language teaching and learning.
- Monitor and inform the Association on trends and developments related to standards that impact the field of English language teaching and learning.
For more information, please visit the Standards Committee page
in the TESOL Community