TESOL International Association Strategic Plan
2015–2018 Strategic Plan
TESOL will promote sound education policy, professionalism, and excellence in English language education.
- Increase the association’s demonstrated expertise in, and resources for, language education policy.
- Enhance the leadership and advocacy skills of TESOL professionals.
- Increase advocacy for, and improve the professional status of, English language professionals worldwide.
- Increase resources and tools for TESOL members to enable them to engage in advocacy.
TESOL will govern effectively and will employ an efficient structure that provides ample opportunity for meaningful participation.
- Reduce governance layers and redundancies.
- Increase the alignment between volunteer competencies and the work that needs to be done.
- Increase the speed and responsiveness of decision-making processes.
- Streamline communication processes among staff, work groups, and members.
- Develop the leadership pipeline.
Professional Learning and Engagement
TESOL will provide English language teaching professionals with the necessary body of knowledge, tools, and resources to enhance their expertise and practice.
- Expand the variety and reach of professional learning opportunities.
- Incorporate relevant research and development into TESOL professional learning.
- Ensure a positive member experience at all TESOL professional learning offerings, including the annual Convention, symposia, academies, and online events.
- Improve ease of access to TESOL’s resources.
- Expand TESOL’s capacity for members to participate in professional learning opportunities.
- Expand publication product offerings that support professional learning needs through traditional and new media.
TESOL will advance the field of English language teaching through research.
- Implement TESOL’s research agenda.
- Increase the awareness and reach of TESOL research across the field.
- Make research findings readily accessible to practitioners.
TESOL will advance the field of English language teaching through quality standards.
- Increase the awareness and reach of TESOL standards across the field.
- Facilitate the translation of standards into practice.
- Improve the quality and currency of TESOL’s standards in a timely manner.
- Increase the number of products and resources related to TESOL standards.