| || |
Namhee Suk is a doctoral candidate in applied linguistics at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. Her dissertation investigates the impact of extensive reading on Korean EFL university students’ reading comprehension, reading rate, vocabulary acquisition, and motivation to read.
Applicants should meet all of the three conditions to be eligible for the award:
- Must be TESOL members;
- Must be graduate students who are currently enrolled in a TESOL or TEFL graduate program at the time of the application;
- Must plan on working on a graduate study project on a topic relevant to TESOL or TEFL for an upcoming academic year or beyond
To support current graduate students in the development of projects with direct application to ESOL language classroom instruction. The recipient of this award is expected to present the results of the project at a TESOL convention within 3 years of the date the award is received.
One selected applicant will receive an award of $1,500 USD and a convention registration for a subsequent year, when the completed project is presented.
Applications are evaluated in terms of (a) the merit of the graduate study project, (b) clear goals of graduate studies, (c) relevant scholarship and experiences, and (d) a demonstration of financial need related to completing the graduate study project. Preference is given to projects with practical classroom applications.
To Apply Online
To complete the online application process, you will need the following information. You are strongly encouraged to gather this information before you begin the application. That way, you can fill out the application completely, and you will not have to go back and fill in items later.
- an explanation of your goals of graduate studies and your professional experiences/scholarship (250 words or fewer)
- a statement describing how this award will help finance the graduate study project (250 words or fewer)
Graduate Project Description (1250 words maximum) Describe your graduate study project, including
- a statement of purpose for the study
- a description of what is to be done and why
- a statement of the project's practical application
One Letter of Recommendation
The letter should
You will be asked to provide a contact email addresses for your graduate supervisor. Your graduate supervisor will receive a message from firstname.lastname@example.org at the address that you provide. The email will invite your graduate supervisor to upload aletter of recommendation directly to the application system.
- be written by your graduate supervisor
- confirm approval, indicate the status, and comment on the merit of your graduate project
- describe your scholarship
Please ask your graduate supervisor to watch for a message from email@example.com. To ensure that they receive the message, please ask them to add firstname.lastname@example.org to their contacts or their spam whitelist.
If they do not receive the message, please send a message to email@example.com.
Click here to begin the application process.
Applications must be received by 1 November
. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Past Award Recipients
View a list of past recipients
. For information on recipients for years not listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org