2017 Award for Distinguished Research: Gary Barkhuizen
Gary Barkhuizen is Professor at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. His research interests are in the areas of teacher identity, study abroad and narrative inquiry. He has taught English at high school and college level, and has been involved in teacher education for many years.
Any author who has completed an empirical research project and a subsequent scholarly paper that was published in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal during the calendar year preceding the award year. For example, the 2014 award was given for research published during the 2013 calendar year.
Final page proofs of papers scheduled to be published late in the year are acceptable.
Articles with multiple authors are also eligible, but only the lead author will receive the award package.
To recognize excellence in any area of research on language teaching and learning.
- One complimentary registration to the TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo
- Roundtrip airfare and 2 nights hotel to attend the TESOL convention
- 1-year TESOL membership
- 1-year subscription to TESOL Quarterly
- One featured session at the TESOL convention
- One featured article in TESOL Connections
Manuscripts are evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Significance of the issue to the field of language learning and teaching in TESOL
- Awareness of relevant scholarship related to the issue or problem
- Clarity with which any theoretical considerations, research questions, or models related to the issue or problem are presented
- Evidence of appropriate research methods and analysis, regardless of methodological paradigm
- Persuasiveness of the argument presented and the conclusions drawn
- Clarity of the writing
Online Submission Process
Papers may be nominated or self-nominated. To complete the online submission process, you will need the following information. You are strongly encouraged to gather this information before you begin the application. That way, you can fill out the application completely, and you will not have to go back and fill in items later.
Click here to begin the application/nomination process.
- Biographical statement for author of paper (50 words)
- Author's full name and email address (primary author if more than one author)
- PDF of empirical research study
Completed online applications must be submitted by 1 November
Past Award Recipients
View a list of past recipients
. For information on recipients for years not listed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org