The Affiliate Network Professional Council (ANPC) supports TESOL International Association by helping to foster a strong and robust affiliate network. The ANPC accomplishes this by facilitating clear and timely communication between and among affiliate associations and TESOL International Association, developing programming in support of affiliate organizations, and advising on initiatives and activities that advance the association’s strategic direction.
Terms of Service
The ANPC shall consist of up to 10 members, plus a staff partner and board liaison. The ANPC shall ensure adequate membership to carry out its duties and responsibilities as specified below.
Members are appointed by the TESOL executive committee through an application process, with advice from the leadership of the current ANPC. The application solicits information regarding education and professional training, relevant experience, and potential contributions to the professional council with reference to the professional council’s goals and objectives. Once appointed, professional council members make a one-year commitment to serve. They may seek to renew their commitment annually, for up to three years of service.
Each year, an incoming chair shall be nominated by the TESOL executive director though an application process from within the ANPC, with input from the current ANPC leaders and final approval by the executive committee. Only those serving on the professional council at the time of the application process are eligible to apply. Once appointed, the designee shall serve for one year as incoming chair, one year as chair, and one year as past chair before rotating off the council.
Service on the ANPC shall begin and end at the annual TESOL convention.
Interested applicants must be TESOL members for at least 3 years and have at least 1-2 years of volunteer experience with TESOL International Association.
Interested applicants shall be asked to list their level of education, experience, and how they are qualified to contribute to the ANPC in meeting its goals and objectives, including recent demonstrable leadership experience with a TESOL affiliate. ANPC members should have knowledge and experience of TESOL International Association and its affiliate associations, the relationship between TESOL and its affiliate associations, and the strategic direction of the association. The council membership should reflect the widest possible range of professional expertise and experience, reflecting TESOL’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and access.
Duties and Responsibilities
The ANPC will collaborate with the staff partner to facilitate activities that support the affiliate network. This includes, but is not limited to, advising on programmatic elements, facilitating procedures for activities within the affiliate network, developing a collaborative partnership between TESOL International Association and its affiliate associations, and enhancing and fostering communication among affiliate associations. It will also provide oversight and advice for projects pursued as part of this partnership.
The ANPC shall:
- Assist with procedural elements to develop and maintain the affiliate network.
- Review and revise additional criteria for joining and remaining in the affiliate network as needed.
- Review and advise the executive committee of TESOL on new and renewal affiliate applications.
- Facilitate methods to collect, share, and disseminate information and knowledge on emerging professional issues through the affiliate network.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between and among TESOL International Association and affiliate associations.
- Support networking and professional development events for leaders within the affiliate network.
- Convene the Annual Affiliate Assembly and the Affiliate Colloquium.
- Solicit and select for referral the “Best of Affiliate” sessions for the annual convention.
- Publish a biannual newsletter for the affiliate network.
Chair: Linh Phung
Chair-Elect: Jermaine McDougald
Past Chair: Bessie Karras-Lazaris
Board Liaison: Debra Suarez
Staff Partner: Jeff Hutcheson
Jorge Torres Almazan